Gratis openbaar vervoer voor mensen tot en met 20 jaar!
De overheid van Malta is het reizen met het openbaar vervoer aan het promoten!
Momenteel is het reizen voor personen tussen de 14 en 20 jaar (20 jaar is inclusief) gratis.
Wat je moet doen is:
- Vraag een buskaart aan (de 15 euro registratie kosten betaal je altijd).
- Zorg dat je geld op de kaart hebt staan.
- Ga lekker met de bus.
- De maand erop krijg je je verbruikte kosten weer terug gestort!
Government Free Travel Schemes
The Government Free Travel Schemes apply to 14 - 20-year-olds, Student Tallinja Cardholders who are over 20 years old, and Concession Tallinja Cardholders who are either disabled or over 70 years old. These are initiatives launched by the Government of Malta and are included in the Government's budget measures for 2019, 2020 and 2021.
Through this Scheme, the following will benefit from free travel on the public transport service offered by Malta Public Transport during 2021.
1. Those who turn 14 shall enjoy free travel on public transport as of their 14th birthday.
2. Those who are already 14, up to 19 years old will enjoy free travel on public transport for all of 2021.
3. Those who are already 20 on 1 January 2021 shall benefit from free travel on public transport, up to the day before they turn 21.
4. The customer will no longer be eligible for the Scheme once the total spend of the individual customer reaches €312 in the case of Student card holders and Adult card holders eligible for the scheme, and €105 in the case of those Concession tallinja card holders eligible for this scheme, or a customer who turns 21 in 2021 unless in possession of a Student Tallinja Card.
5. Those who turn 70 shall enjoy free travel on public transport as of their 70th birthday.
6. Those who are already 70 years old or older will enjoy free travel on public transport for all of 2021.
7. Any single individual may not benefit from more than €312 in credit refunds in the case of Student card holders and Adult card holders eligible for the scheme, and €105 in the case of those Concession tallinja card holders eligible for this scheme.
8. The €10 registration fee paid by customers who in 2021 applied for a tallinja card for the first time, will not be refunded.
For more information regarding this offer please contact the scheme helpdesk on 22483500
Government Free Travel Scheme
The "Government Free Travel Scheme" (the "Scheme") is an initiative launched by the Government of Malta and is one of the Government's budget measures for 2021.
Through the Scheme those customers turning 14 during 2021, customers aged between 14 and 20 during 2021, holders of the Student Tallinja Card aged 21 years and above, Concession Tallinja Cardholders aged 70 and above, and disabled Concession Tallinja Cardholders will benefit from free travel on the public transport service offered by Malta Public Transport during 2021.
Customers will be refunded for the travel credit used in the previous month.
Any single individual may not benefit from more than:
- €312 in credit refunds in the case of Student and Adult cardholders eligible for this scheme; and
- €105 in the case of Concession cardholders eligible for this scheme.
The Customer will no longer be eligible for the Scheme once the total spend of the individual customer reaches €312, in the case of student and Adult cardholders, and €105 in the case of Concession cardholders, or turns 21 in 2021 unless the customer holds a Student Tallinja Card.
2.1. The following holders of a Tallinja Card will be eligible for the scheme:
a. Customers who are 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 19 and 20 years old.
b. Customers who will turn 14 years old in 2021 - Eligibility starts from their 14th birthday.
c. Customers who are 20 years old - Eligibility ends on their 21st birthday in 2021.
d. Customers holding a Student Tallinja Card aged 21 and above.
e. Customers who are 70 years old or older.
f. Customers who are holders of EU Disability Card with the "MT" mark issued by the Commission for the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (CRPD).
2.2. Eligible customers must be in possession of one of these personalised tallinja cards: Student, Adult, Gozo or Concession Card to benefit from the scheme. For the sake of clarity, holders of a non-personalised card (Explore Adult, Explore Child and 12 Single Day Journeys) and holders of a cash ticket do not benefit from the Scheme.
2.3. Beneficiaries of the Scheme will travel on the public transport service for free if they possess a Student Tallinja Card, or on the day of their 14th birthday (those who are already 14 will start benefitting as of 1 January 2021) and ending on the 20th< birth year, 364th day at 23.59.59 hours, or if they possess a Concession Tallinja Card and are disabled or over 70 years of age.
2.4. All route types qualify for the Scheme including day routes, night routes and special routes but excluding all other services.
2.5. New customers, those who are not in possession of a tallinja card yet, may still benefit from the Scheme but must first register for a new tallinja card by following the same process as for normal registration. The new customer is only entitled to travel for free once in possession of the new tallinja card. Allowance must be made for the delivery of the tallinja card in the case of applications for a new tallinja card by non-tallinja cardholders. No refunds in cash or credit may be claimed for the period between the customer's 14thbirthday and the date of receipt of the tallinja card.
2.6. Registrations made at one of the Sales Offices will attract the standard administration fee of €15.00. The postage fee, minimum top up and standard administration fee upon registration shall also apply. The standard administration fee of €15 will not be refunded as per clause 4.1 below.
3. Application for Scheme
3.1. The eligible customers who are in possession of a tallinja card will automatically start benefitting from the Scheme if they: already have a Student Tallinja Card; or with effect from their 14th birthday; or from 1 January 2021 if they are already 14 but less than 21 years old (unless in possession of a Student tallinja card); or with effect from their 70th birthday; or from 1 January 2021 if there are holders of EU Disability Card with "MT" mark issued by the Commission for the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (CRPD). The birthday that will be applied is the one in the database of Malta Public Transport which was submitted by the customer upon application for the tallinja card.
4. Refund of credit consumed whilst traveling
4.1.The €15 registration fee paid by customers who in 2021 applied for a tallinja card for the first time, will not be refunded.
4.2. The customer will be refunded the credit consumed during the previous month. The credit consumed will be refunded to the customer's card within the first 7 calendar days of the following month.
4.3. With regard to the first such refund in the case the customer is turning 14 or 70 in 2021, the customer's card will be refunded the spend from the customer's birthday up to and including the last day of the month. In the case of those turning 14, this shall go on up to the 20th birth year, 364th day at 23.59.59 hours.
4.4. With regard to the last such refund of the Scheme in the case of 20-year-olds, the customer's card will be refunded the credit from the beginning of the month up to the 20th birth year, 364th day at 23.59.59 hours, which refund shall be done up to the first 7 days of the following month.
4.5. The customer will be refunded only for chargeable trips. Transfers or trips made whilst in capping or other free trips will not be refunded.
4.6. The customer is responsible to ensure that the card has sufficient funds to travel.
5.1. The Scheme will automatically end on the day before the customer turns 21 years old unless terminated prematurely as explained in Clause 5.3. below.
5.2. Following the expiration of the Scheme, any trip made by the customer will be charged as per the terms and conditions governing the use of the tallinja card.
5.3. The Scheme may be terminated prematurely in one of the following cases:
a. The customer spends €312 in the case of Student and Adult cardholders, or €105 in the case of Concession cardholders.
b. The customer is deemed as making fraudulent transactions with his/her tallinja card.